Friday, April 18, 2008

Le correspondance

I am beginning my third night in Paris which is a welcomed change of pace from the hustle I had going on in Central/Eastern Europe. I am with my beloved mother so I am not so much on my own for meeting wayward persons in different countries.

Romania was a blast- especially the night I had in Cluj Napoca where I met up with some German and Austrian international students. Budapest was also fun, as I had a most excellent host and ended up joining forces with a fun crew representing Australia, New Zealand, and Florida of all places. The language in Hungary was incomprehensible but the sights were enjoyable.

Prague was surely the best time I have had so far. I spent every day hanging out with locals to some extent, which was my intent because European architecture all looks the same after a while. The first night we cut some rugs at an 80's dance party with an excellent crew at a famous music bar. In the next few days we went to a carnival, and a zoo (which I absolutely feel guilty about) among other great places. The city was beautiful, albeit full of a lot of tourists. But the people were what made it for me.

Everywhere I went people were so friendly, accommodating, and just genuinely interesting. I will try to stay in touch with most of them but chances are I will never see them again. But, you never know because I have an ability to make anything happen when I want to. Meeting so many cool people really brought my spirits up and gave me some confidence in society and the future of the world, especially after spending three months in Africa where it is simply impossible to get anything done and it the future looks bleak. At the same time I got burnt out on having to say goodbye to so many people that I got close to. Maybe I just got lucky and met exceptionally cool people on this trip, or maybe I have really low standards, I am not sure. But I did have a hell of a time and I will always have pleasant memories.

So I don't have much to say about Paris because its much the same as it was when I was here last year. We have been enjoying some extremely delicious food though, I have to admit. I probably eat about a pound of baguette everyday and another pound of cheese to go with it. But life is good as always, and I am at peace with the world. We head to Morocco in 3 days and I am sincerely excited about that, so expect some pictures after that happens.

No comments: