Tuesday, March 4, 2008

March has arrived

Life in Malabo is going well. The rainy season is quickly approaching, as evidenced by the occurrence of two rain storms in the past 4 days (and the only rain I have seen in Malabo since being here). And when I say it rains, it bloody rains- the clouds open up and drop something mean. But, I welcome the rain because it gets rid of the suffocating dust- allowing us breathe and see. Malabo is a much more inviting place without the the dry dirt collecting everywhere- I'll get some pictures up soon.

Last Saturday we traveled to Pico Basile- at almost 9,900 feet above sea level, the highest point on the island. Due to the military and telecommunications installations on the peak, we had to get a special permit to visit for the day. It was really cold and reminded me of a brisk autumn day back in North Carolina. I have a few decent pictures, which I will post when I get around to it.

This weekend will be an exciting one. We are being flown to mainland EG to visit Bata for a few days. Although I have been on Bioko for more than two months now, I haven't been to mainland Africa yet. We are all really excited about it, and for good reasons, because Rio Muni is supposed to be a completely different experience. I will take a picture of anything that moves.

So in addition to getting the Pico Basile pics up, I want to try a "day in the life of theme" followed by the Bata update. Over and out.

No comments: